Spoiler alert! This post is going to go in-depth with 3 reasons why I love Peloton and think everyone should own one. And not just for all the obvious fitness reasons.
Peloton, the smart bike
Several years ago, I started seeing ads for a new “smart bike” on TV. My husband immediately scoffed at the $1,200 price tag. I was a cycling instructor at a local YMCA, and his defense was that if I wanted to ride indoors – I could ride there. *insert eye roll*
Also in his defense, as a military family, we didn’t really like the idea of having it moved from place to place by government-hired shipping companies. We have lost several high-dollar items to damage that they wouldn’t cover at full replacement value. RIP, Tempur-Pedic mattress.
Anyway, fast forward to the year we spent on assignment in a very hot and humid Southeast Texas metropolis. It was a long drive to the YMCA from our house. It didn’t have any indoor cycles on the main gym floor at the time, and I could never seem to make it to the scheduled classes. One date night out at the Galleria Mall, we just happened to pass the Peloton store. It only took a small amount of nudging at that point, and I got an early Mother’s Day gift.
What I wanted out of Peloton was easy access, 24/7, no excuses because it’s in the house, and digital content for off-the-bike fitness.
What I get out of my Peloton is exponentially more than all of those combined. It’s truly been the gift that keeps on giving. I absolutely love Peloton and everything they stand for – and I think everyone deserves one.
Reason Why I love Peloton #1
First, I’ll start off with the aforementioned easy access to exercise. Peloton truly does make it easy to get in SOME kind of self-care every day. There are literally 5-minute classes. LADIES – YOU HAVE FIVE MINUTES TO BREATHE! You can’t drive a car on empty. Why would you treat yourself less than a car? I literally do stretches and barre classes IN MY CLOSET some days to make sure I get that blue dot on my Peloton activity calendar. That’s a topic for another post… There are even meditation classes. Tell me again how you can’t take 5 minutes every single night to listen to a sleep meditation? I know you are already on your phone looking at social media – switch over to the Peloton app and meditate!
Reason Why I love Peloton #2
Second, quality content is delivered to my house whenever I need it. No more driving to the gym down the road on “inclement weather” days, looking for a parking spot, trying to make it to class with my favorite instructor on time. But wait – I’m an instructor. 😂 Why am I telling you to stay home and work out? Because I know that Peloton’s instructors are top-notch and they are available 24/7 to teach you a class. “No excuses” fitness at any level, any time, any day you choose. The most difficult part of my fitness routine is obsessing over what Savvi outfit I’m going to wear.
Reason Why I love Peloton #3
Finally, the really big reason I’m utterly in love with this company. I mentioned the top-notch instructors in the last paragraph, but that is no way enough of a mention. Not even close. I’m going to try to explain how this “bike that goes nowhere” has taken me places I never dreamed of, in ways I never expected. Their classes are little motivational speeches. I have a notepad file on my phone FILLED with quotes from instructors that I have typed in during rides. I never ride without my phone in this phone bike mount attached to my center handlebar.
You never know when you’re going to catch something like these pearls from Matt “Baby-Faced Assassin” Wilpers.
- “This class is only 20 minutes. Get cooking.”
- “Is it tears, or just sweat?”
- “Don’t just do it. Make it look good.”
- “Enjoy the sweat, baby. It’s the closest we’ll come to the fountain of youth.”
- “Work on your composure with me today.” 👈🏻 That quote was no doubt said on a long-interval endurance ride.
- “It’s not about what you do when everyone’s looking. It’s about what you do when nobody’s looking.” 👈🏻 TRUTH!
Denis “Can’t Be Tamed” Morton, aka Uncle Denis, has let fly a TON of great quotes in the rides I have taken with him.
- “Life begins at 90 to 100 cadence.”
- “Don’t be afraid to have a little fun with it.”
- “Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.”
- “If you can’t be good, be careful.” 👈🏻 Probably the most well-known Denis quote of all time.
Christine D’Ercole, one of the most enigmatic women in fitness today. Chances that I will have an emotional ugly cry moment at least once on a ride with her are extremely high. #truestory
- “You don’t need my permission to take care of yourself.”
- “How you talk to yourself really matters.”
- “Say it loud as you are proud, I am, I can, I will, I do.”
- “Showing up is gold!” (She spoke of the time she almost didn’t show up for a race that she ended up taking the gold medal.)
- “Do not let your confidence come from compliments.”
- “Drop your shoulders, drop your baggage.”
- “But what if you can?” 👈🏻 This is an incredibly powerful question posed when you are deeply doubting yourself and your abilities.
- “You are bigger than a smaller pair of pants.” 👈🏻 Read that again, ladies.
Robin Arzon, the VP of Fitness Programming at Peloton, is well known for her no-nonsense (and take no shit) approach.
- “Self-care sometimes means getting up the damn hill.”
- “This may be the only time you get to yourself today. Take is unapologetically.”
- “We either live or we learn. There is no failure here.”
- ‘What if we turned our magic all the way on?”
- “We cannot do this on an empty tank. These 20 minutes are not a luxury; they are a necessity.” 👈🏻 I cannot recommend enough the Year of Yes collection: rides, stretch classes, yoga, all of it. SO GOOD!!
Reasons Why I Love Peloton, and You Will, Too
This is just a small fraction of the motivation and inspiration these instructors dish out on the daily. But I would be remiss if I neglected to mention the #1 quote from another favorite instructor of mine: Jess “You Don’t Have To, You Get To” Sims. Forbes has dubbed her “The Hype Woman The World Needs Right Now.” I couldn’t agree with them more.
But… the reason I don’t have more of her quotes written down?
I’m usually neck-deep in sweat, a dumbbell in one or both hands, begging for the AMRAP to be over so I can breathe, and not so concerned with writing down quotes. When I catch my breath, it’s time to grab my go-to electrolytes to replenish what her class has inevitably taken from me.
But this quote has become my mantra. I’ve said it silently to myself when I’m working out with her, and I’ve uttered it through gritted teeth in public – once carrying a rolling cart loaded with books up a flight of stairs.
So before you decide to click away and look for that cinnamon roll recipe, I have a referral code for BOTH of us to receive $100 toward accessories. Plus, you can get the digital app FREE for two months! Use the code SRN9BX when you buy your Peloton!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products because I own them or have knowledge of the products. There is no additional cost to you, and it helps me continue producing free-to-read content. Please see my Policy Privacy for more details.